Hey, mama! Think you’re too busy to make friends? Or, if you’re like me – a total introvert – you find it hard to do so. There are many opportunities throughout your day to make friends.
- Work – Making friends at work should be the easiest, since it’s where you spend most of your time. Take time to get to know your co-workers. You may be surprised by how much you have in common with some of them. Look for common interests, fashion styles, etc. Strike up a conversation in the elevator, or in the cafeteria. You never know, your new best friend could be sitting in an office just two floors down.
- Church – If you attend church together, you already have one thing in common: your faith. Build on that. Do you both have kids that are around the same age? Are your husbands friends? Maybe invite her family over for a cookout, or movie/game night.
- The Gym – While most people don’t go to the gym to socialize, there are still opportunities to do so. Does she have a physique or workout routine you’d like to emulate? Maybe strike up a conversation in the locker room (not when naked, because that’s weird), it’s possible you can become workout buddies, leading to a friendship outside the gym.
- PTA/Other School Committees – Your kids are already friends – or at least they probably know each other. Start off with playdates to see if you have anything in common. I know it sounds like you’re interviewing for friends – in a way, you are. You have kids who go to school together, so it’s safe to assume you live in the same neighborhood. Invite her over for coffee, maybe form a book club with other PTA/school moms.
- Book Club – Are you an avid reader like me? Find out if anyone you know is a member of a book club, ask if you can join. Or, search online for book clubs in your area. You already have your love of literature in common – maybe there’s more.
You see, it doesn’t have to be hard to make new friends. You just have to put some effort into it – just like you would building any other relationship.
What about you? Where did you meet your BFF?